A simple and inexpensive maintenance program can lengthen the life of your water heater in San Diego and practically eliminate the need to replace it.
Below are some tips to help get the most from your water heater
- Regularly clean your water heater. This means cleaning all of the major components of the water heater; the enclosure, the water tank assembly, and the burner and control assembly.
- Inspect the condition of the anode rod in order to prevent leaks from developing. If it is worn down you will need to replace it. You can get a new one from a plumbing supply company.
- The burner assembly should be cleaned at least once a year, but more frequent care is better. Simply brush away cobwebs, dust and remove other debris that builds up.
- Flush the tank regularly to remove built up sediment.
- Frequently check your water heater for leaks. It’s important to check the pipe connections, the valves and underneath the unit.
- Test the temperature/pressure relief valve once a year to make sure it’s working.
- Protect the floor under the water heater from water damage by painting the area with a water sealant. Also, you can install a specially designed drip pan under the water heater to catch extra water. These pans are available at most building supply stores for about $10. Keep in mind, the pan you select must have a drain out the bottom.
- Use an insulation blanket to make a water heater more energy efficient.
Looking For More Information On Water Heaters?
Not sure how much longer your water heater will last or are you already looking for a new one. Have you considered greener, tankless water heaters? If you have questions call us. We are the water heater experts and we can help find the right one for your needs.